Skip to main content

Be Proactive!



I frown when I meet people who do nothing to improve their lot in life. They wait for others to do it for them or just remain passive and resign to the idea that 'it's their fate!" This is the lamest excuse. We can always make our lives better. There's always a way to prevent life's challenges; a way to make burdens lighter; or a way to live life more comfortably. We just have to do something. We just have to be proactive.

Being proactive is a learned skill. Being proactive is being courageous in taking risks. Being proactive is learning from one's own mistakes and learning from the mistakes of others. Being proactive is creating desired results. Being proactive is moving your self forward.

Being proactive is a learned skill. When I was young, because my father died and my mother had to leave us to work abroad so that she can support me and my 6 siblings, I looked for ways to augment my very minimal allowance. I sold ice candies inside the theater owned by a relative. I sold newspapers and magazines on weekends, even joined singing competitions hoping to at least get a consolation prize. I studied hard and made sure that I was an academic scholar. At that age, I learned the empowerment of being proactive in my life. I knew that no one can help but me. I can't just sit around and wait for "the guava to fall into my mouth".

The opposite of proactive is reactive. Do you remember the science experiment of taking a cup of vinegar and adding baking soda? The combination of elements creates a reaction. There is no controlling the gas that is created. Now, let's consider a health issue. We are all given a specific number of teeth. When those teeth are damaged, you cannot restore them to the original condition. Some teeth are genetically healthier than other teeth. However, brushing our teeth is a proactive behavior. We become reactive when we have a tooth ache due to decay and then are required to act in one manner or another to remove the pain. So, with today's science and technology, one can be more proactive by visiting a dentist for checkups. These checkups may not always be pleasant yet the act of caring for our teeth in this way more likely prevents us from the uncontrollable reaction we experience from the pain of a tooth ache.

So, you may be asking, what is my point? While many events in our lives we seem not able to control, events do exist which we can control by our own pro-action behavior. Select an area in your life you desire to change. Consider this idea. What can I do proactively now so that this area in my life will change? You may not be able to see what you can do proactively. When this occurs, call upon someone who can help you see "outside the box." Be open to suggestions and listen without judging. Consider that many choices are available. Being proactive is moving your self forward. You do not need to feel "stuck" and always reacting to the things around you.

Another small tidbit of information - being reactive uses more energy than being proactive. Being proactive reduces the amount of stress in one's life. Less stress means you have more positive energy than negative energy. With more positive energy, you can enjoy this life you have been given. With a more peaceful life, you are empowered to be proactive. Take a risk and move forward.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abdominal Epilepsy?

The other day, I encountered an uncommon medical diagnosis, abdominal epilepsy. Maybe I was absent when this was taught in med school or maybe it was mentioned but it just didn't register in my memory bank. Anyway, for those colleagues who haven't heard of this as well, here's what I found out about it, so that next time you are faced with a weird abdominal pain, you will think of abdominal epilepsy as a differential. There are many medical causes of abdominal pain; abdominal epilepsy is one of the rare causes. From a medical perspective, the term epilepsy refers not to a single disease, but to a group of symptoms with numerous causes. The common factor in all forms of epilepsy is an excessive electrical excitability of the brain. The increased excitation is called a seizure and may manifest as a partial or total loss of consciousness and muscle spasms or other involuntary movements. Many conditions can produce epilepsy. For example, a genetic predisposition is

"Ganacity"

If there's one word that I will never forget from my AGSB experience, it's "ganacity"! A word frequently mentioned by our FinMan professor. What does it mean? It's a combination of the tagalog word "gana" (appetite, zest) and the english suffix "city" which converts an adjective word into a noun. 'Ganacity' therefore refers to one's state of desire or interest in something. I am sharing this because I feel that my 'ganacity' for what I am doing now is spiralling down, and it is so difficult to reverse it back up or just to keep it at a maintained level. It is becoming a struggle on a day to day basis. I am hoping that night and day will alternate fast so that this battle will end soon.

What to Think About this Holy Week

As we prepare for the coming week, let us be reminded again of this powerful message. In the message "Believe and Be Restored" we considered our need to believe that what God said is true. He said the death and resurrection of Jesus was the final sacrifice for our sin, and that those who believe would receive the gift of eternal life. Clearly, our Salvation is a gift from God; "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith" (Ephesians 2:8). We did nothing to earn our Salvation and there is nothing we must now do to keep it, we simply must believe; "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1). Though our sins are forgiven and Jesus is 100% sufficient for Salvation - though we walk in grace and are absolutely free of condemnation - sin in our life still causes temporary separation and tension in our relationship with God. Therefore, over and over in scripture, we are called to a life of holiness: "As obedient chi