Skip to main content

Will and Grace: A Testimony (Part I)


This coming week, as we remember the greatest sacrifice of all, that of Christ dying for our sins, I am posting a life testimony I wrote 8 years ago. It tells much about how John 3:16 has worked and, still is, working in my life. I hope you will continue to hang on to your faith and experience a life that is beyond holy.

To try to comprehend the whole complex of christian life is like floating in a vast sea and not knowing where the waves will bring you. To actually seek for answers to questions like, why me? how will I?, when?, where to?, and what's next?, is like looking for the pot of gold at the end of a 10-minute rainbow. Similarly, when you get used to the ways of God, you no longer ask, just allow yourself to be carried by the wings of His Spirit.


It was 6 years ago when I heard the call to be a medical missionary. Witnessing a miracle in one of the islands of Bicol, I sensed that God has a purpose for me that is beyond my understanding. Rightfully so, with perspectives changed, plans taken aside, I was led to the chilly mountains of Baguio to pursue a degree in Medicine. The passage was not easy. Like the zigzag road, there were lots of blind curves, narrow paths, and uphill accelerations. Doubt, discouragement, and adjustments were overpowering. The process itself is a different story of God's faithfulness. But if there was one thing I was sure of in all those times, everything was God's will!

Stupidly human, despite the hype of spirituality that was supposedly happening in my life in that four years I spent following God's will, I fell out of His flock. Of course, the mind can think of a lot of excuses to justify this, but the bottom line is, I became slack, complacent and egotistical. It's a good example to affirm the cliche' "no quiet time, no peace time; no prayer, no power!" So down I went with my own understanding of things. I was like Titanic's 'king of the world' for a time until I fell off from the railing, pushed by my own grieving spirit! It was as if I fell into the deeps of the ocean, unable to swim back to the surface. When I got back to my senses, God's hand pulled me up. That was when I fully understood what God's grace is all about!

My testimony thus basically revolves around these two undefinable words that are truly God's, will and grace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abdominal Epilepsy?

The other day, I encountered an uncommon medical diagnosis, abdominal epilepsy. Maybe I was absent when this was taught in med school or maybe it was mentioned but it just didn't register in my memory bank. Anyway, for those colleagues who haven't heard of this as well, here's what I found out about it, so that next time you are faced with a weird abdominal pain, you will think of abdominal epilepsy as a differential. There are many medical causes of abdominal pain; abdominal epilepsy is one of the rare causes. From a medical perspective, the term epilepsy refers not to a single disease, but to a group of symptoms with numerous causes. The common factor in all forms of epilepsy is an excessive electrical excitability of the brain. The increased excitation is called a seizure and may manifest as a partial or total loss of consciousness and muscle spasms or other involuntary movements. Many conditions can produce epilepsy. For example, a genetic predisposition is

"Ganacity"

If there's one word that I will never forget from my AGSB experience, it's "ganacity"! A word frequently mentioned by our FinMan professor. What does it mean? It's a combination of the tagalog word "gana" (appetite, zest) and the english suffix "city" which converts an adjective word into a noun. 'Ganacity' therefore refers to one's state of desire or interest in something. I am sharing this because I feel that my 'ganacity' for what I am doing now is spiralling down, and it is so difficult to reverse it back up or just to keep it at a maintained level. It is becoming a struggle on a day to day basis. I am hoping that night and day will alternate fast so that this battle will end soon.

What to Think About this Holy Week

As we prepare for the coming week, let us be reminded again of this powerful message. In the message "Believe and Be Restored" we considered our need to believe that what God said is true. He said the death and resurrection of Jesus was the final sacrifice for our sin, and that those who believe would receive the gift of eternal life. Clearly, our Salvation is a gift from God; "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith" (Ephesians 2:8). We did nothing to earn our Salvation and there is nothing we must now do to keep it, we simply must believe; "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1). Though our sins are forgiven and Jesus is 100% sufficient for Salvation - though we walk in grace and are absolutely free of condemnation - sin in our life still causes temporary separation and tension in our relationship with God. Therefore, over and over in scripture, we are called to a life of holiness: "As obedient chi