Skip to main content

The Man Who Came back From the Dead !


I would like to tell you a story. It is a true story, because it is about me.

I was born in 1930 in Germany to a very orthodox Jewish family. We kept all the holy days, my mother kept a kosher kitchen, and we didn't have much to do with gentiles. Germany was not a good place to be for a Jew in the '30s and '40s, and in time, my family was arrested and sent to Buchenwald, where my father and mother were killed. In Buchenwald, I completely lost my faith, for I could not believe that there could be a God who would let such a thing happen, especially to His People.

The allies liberated Buchenwald before the Nazis came for me, and I was passed from one charitable agency to another until eventually I was adopted by a very kind and loving Christian family. They tried very hard to make me feel wanted, but they spoke no German and I spoke no English, They were Christians and I was a Jew, and there was no way for them to know how deeply my experiences had affected me. I had lost everything that had meant anything to me, and so I decided to end what remained of my life.

I want you to know that I was already dead. The question was not if I would commit suicide, it was when and how. And one day, as I was thinking about this, as teenagers often do, I reached over and turned on the radio, which just happened to be tuned to a live broadcast of David ben Gurion's first address to the Knesset, proclaiming the creation of the State of Israel.

In an instant, in an interval of zero time, all my faith came rushing back to me, and I realized three things:

The first was that I was to become a rabbi.

The second was that all the things that happened to me were a part of God's design for me; that they had to happen for me to be the rabbi that God wanted me to be.

The third was a message I was given, which I will presently share with you.

We have all heard, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me, O Lord," from the 23rd Psalm. Well, I walked in that valley, and I feared that evil, for I did not see God in Buchenwald.

For nineteen hundred years, the Jews had lived in Diaspora, separated from their homeland. It took an event so monstrous, so hideous in its conception and execution, that no sane person could doubt that the Jews had had enough! Just as what happened to me was necessary for me to be the man I have become, so the holocaust was necessary for the creation of the State of Israel. In both cases, God's will was being accomplished. In a sense, Hitler was doing God's work, for only through his intervention, as it came about, could the Jews finally have regained their ancestral home.

You see, God was in Buchenwald; I just didn't see him.

As I said, I was dead. But I was sent back from the dead with a message for you, and the message is this:



Whatever happens to you, God is there. Whatever evils you must endure, whatever trials or troubles, He is with you, and He is watching over you, and He loves you, and whatever happens to you is a part of His holy purpose, in which we are all honored and privileged to participate.


Today I am an American citizen, and this is my home. But I am also a Jew, and that makes Israel my home as well. We talk about the tree of liberty being watered by the blood of patriots, and that is true, for this country was built by men who willingly shed their blood for its sake. This alone makes this nation holy.

But the State of Israel is built on the broken and tortured bodies of six million innocent men, women and children. How much more holy is that land?

So today I am a citizen of two countries. Israel is my home, but I will never go there. For like Moses, I doubted, and I am not worthy to set foot on that holy ground.
We Christians are very big on testimony. According to this man's testimony, this message was delivered to him by Almighty God when he was 18 years old. I received it when I was 23. Today, by this means, I deliver it today to you. May you deliver it to others.

One final note...

A few years ago a friend of mine was talking to me about our various beliefs. He seemed to find rising from the dead a rather quaint idea, and asked if that was a common Christian belief. I said that coming back from the dead is one of the central beliefs of Christianity.

It was only some time later, while I was thinking about our conversation, that the words of this man, "I was sent back from the dead," occurred to me, and I realized that indeed,

…. A man can come back from the dead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abdominal Epilepsy?

The other day, I encountered an uncommon medical diagnosis, abdominal epilepsy. Maybe I was absent when this was taught in med school or maybe it was mentioned but it just didn't register in my memory bank. Anyway, for those colleagues who haven't heard of this as well, here's what I found out about it, so that next time you are faced with a weird abdominal pain, you will think of abdominal epilepsy as a differential. There are many medical causes of abdominal pain; abdominal epilepsy is one of the rare causes. From a medical perspective, the term epilepsy refers not to a single disease, but to a group of symptoms with numerous causes. The common factor in all forms of epilepsy is an excessive electrical excitability of the brain. The increased excitation is called a seizure and may manifest as a partial or total loss of consciousness and muscle spasms or other involuntary movements. Many conditions can produce epilepsy. For example, a genetic predisposition is

"Ganacity"

If there's one word that I will never forget from my AGSB experience, it's "ganacity"! A word frequently mentioned by our FinMan professor. What does it mean? It's a combination of the tagalog word "gana" (appetite, zest) and the english suffix "city" which converts an adjective word into a noun. 'Ganacity' therefore refers to one's state of desire or interest in something. I am sharing this because I feel that my 'ganacity' for what I am doing now is spiralling down, and it is so difficult to reverse it back up or just to keep it at a maintained level. It is becoming a struggle on a day to day basis. I am hoping that night and day will alternate fast so that this battle will end soon.

What to Think About this Holy Week

As we prepare for the coming week, let us be reminded again of this powerful message. In the message "Believe and Be Restored" we considered our need to believe that what God said is true. He said the death and resurrection of Jesus was the final sacrifice for our sin, and that those who believe would receive the gift of eternal life. Clearly, our Salvation is a gift from God; "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith" (Ephesians 2:8). We did nothing to earn our Salvation and there is nothing we must now do to keep it, we simply must believe; "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1). Though our sins are forgiven and Jesus is 100% sufficient for Salvation - though we walk in grace and are absolutely free of condemnation - sin in our life still causes temporary separation and tension in our relationship with God. Therefore, over and over in scripture, we are called to a life of holiness: "As obedient chi